Sunday, March 1, 2015

Final Blog Entry

I don’t really know how to do this final blog post, but I will give it my best. I can honestly say that I am glad that this assignment is over. When Lesson 4 first started and I learned that we had to do 25 blog posts over a significant period of time, I thought it would be an enjoyable assignment. I thought I would have interesting things to write about and that the assignment wouldn’t be that bad. The first few blogs that I did took a long time to write initially. It was hard for me to get the words out and even get to the word count requirement. After the first few days, however, it became easier and easier to complete each blog. I am not sure how my blogs will fare in regards to others, but considering that this is was a freewriting assignment, it shouldn’t matter.
The biggest challenge that I had from this assignment was not having any feedback from our instructor. Throughout this assignment it would have been nice to have at least one piece of feedback to know how I was doing with my writing, and what things I could work on to improve. Since I have no proof if my blogs have even been read by my instructor, and no feedback from her, I have no idea if I have grown as a writer or if any improvement has been seen. If I would have received feedback, it would have let me know if I was growing or making any improvement with my writing.
Another challenge that I had was the inability to see other student’s blogs from this semester. There are other blogs posted from previous classes on Ms. A’s website, but I wanted to be see my fellow student’s blogs. When this assignment started a few classmates, as well as me, kept asking when our blogs would be posted on her website for us to see, and they were never posted. As I am typing this now on the day of the final post deadline, they still haven’t been posted. I wanted to see how the other students in my class were doing and what they were writing about. Due to a fellow student posting her blog link on Blackboard, and other students following her lead, I was able to see a few student blogs from this semester. If my fellow classmate wouldn’t have started that thread on Blackboard, I wouldn’t have had any access at all.
The only thing that I discovered during this assignment is that I can essentially type out a journal entry once a day. The assignment felt only like a daily journal entry since we didn’t have a whole lot of direction or feedback. I also discovered that my typing speed has improved since I have been typing these throughout the last month.
I initially liked this assignment because I thought it would help me become a better writer and learn more, but I soon realized it was a totally different situation, and that I hated this assignment. I don’t understand the point of an assignment where we are just writing, writing, and writing, with no feedback or help along the way. The only way this type of assignment would help us get better is with feedback and better instruction of the assignment.
Due to no feedback and very little direction on this assignment, I don’t feel like I have changed as a writer. If the assignment would have been laid out better and better instruction from our teacher, I believe I would have changed as a writer and actually learned something. For now, I am just glad that this meaningless assignment is over.


Word Count: 620 words

1 comment:

  1. Jayla - You have a nice body of work here. This is informal writing which receives non-judgmental informal comments. As we work to comment on each other's blogs you will find four comments from me total. This is the first. It takes some time to read all of the posts presented then focus specifically on the ones you have chosen for comment. I look forward to commenting. As I read through, I learned a good deal about you. I also see areas of improvement in fluency. You did not address this in your reflection, but if you think back to how the process unfolded, I would bet you will find this element of improvement in your writing. Although this assignment has an audience, it is not an exclusive one. You are truly your audience in a journaling assignment. Watch for my comments on your selected posts. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete