Friday, February 27, 2015

Post #25

We are going to be starting occupational therapy for him next week. He will be getting therapy twice a week. I am still in shock in a way, and scared also, but I trust that this therapist has my son’s best interests in mind. She is very talented in the things that she does, and I know she will do what she thinks will help him the most. One of the things she wants to incorporate with him is called iLS. iLS stands for interactive learning system, and it helps sensory kids learn and do things the way that they should. I have seen other patients use it before, but I have never seen them enough to understand what they were doing, or if it was truly helping them or not. He is going to be getting occupational therapy twice a week, but iLS therapy three times a week. I am ready to get him going and begin to work on things that he needs help with. I am ready to see my son behave and do things how he should. I know that there will always be differences, but with therapy, it should get easier. I am ready to learn how I can adequately help my son with things, and not unintentionally harm him due to the sensory issues that he has. We are also going to try to pursue occupational therapy in the school. He has an articulation disorder and receives speech therapy in the school as well as in a private therapy clinic setting, but we want to get occupational therapy set up in the school alongside the therapy clinic. I don’t know if he will qualify though. He scored terribly on the tests that she did, but I don’t know if he did bad enough to get school therapy. School guidelines are pathetic with how bad you have to be before you can get help. A lot of kids that I think actually need therapy fall through the cracks due to their guidelines. I am grateful that regardless of what happens in school that he will be able to get therapy in the private clinic.

Word Count: 359 words

No comments:

Post a Comment