Friday, February 27, 2015

Post #24

Also this week we took in our son for an occupational therapy evaluation. He has been having some sensory issues as well as behavioral issues. He had been having some issues for quite some time with certain things, and one day I decided to try to figure out what might be causing them. No matter what we tried, things never got better with these issues. Some of the issues that I was noticing was an issue with brushing my son’s teeth, washing his hair or face, trimming his nails, as well as inattention and not following directions. I decided to google issues trimming nails one day and it led me to a website that said that this might be related to sensory issues in a person. Thankfully, I work for a private therapy clinic full time, so I knew just where to go. I decided to ask our occupational therapist and see what she said, and she agreed that this might be a sensory issue he was having. I mentioned the other above issues that I had noticed at home, and she said that it sounded like we had a sensory kid on our hands. At that point we decided that we probably should pursue an evaluation to see what might be going on with him. Fast forward a few weeks....last week I sent off an order for my son to have an evaluation (I send off orders for all of our patients in our clinic, so I did his also), and we got it back. He had his evaluation on Tuesday, and we received the results on Thursday. He has quite a few sensory issues, and a lot of issues that I didn’t even realize would be sensory related. The therapist had me fill out a questionaire called a Sensory Profile, and I was amazed at some of the questions asked. I never would have thought that some of these things would be sensory related. After the evaluation she said that he has Sensory Processing Disorder. Part of me was shocked, but part of me was glad that we had a diagnosis for the way he acts and does things, and can start getting help.

Word Count: 366 words

No comments:

Post a Comment